Earlier this year, when competing for a listing, my (not yet at the time) clients interrogated me better than I had ever before been interrogated in a marketing competition. It was fun – more so because I “won” (and so did they). They were great people, extraordinarily well-organized and a pleasure to work with for those and many other reasons.
With their permission, below are their questions. Anybody have better one?
While I wrote this post in 2006, the questions they posed then remain excellent and relevant.
1. How long have you worked in Charlottesville?
2. What is your typical house price point? Is that typical of your firm?
3. How many years have you been in the business?
4. Are you a full-time Realtor; do you have another job?
5. How many listings do you have at any given time (Will they have time for my home?)?
6. What percentage of your listings sell?
7. How many homes have you listed and how many homes have you sold in the last six months?
8. Do you have an assistant or someone available to help when you’re not in the office?
9. What can the Realtor’s company do for you? What is their company’s share of the local market? How many sales people are in their company working to bring Buyers to your listing?
1. How long is the average property on the market in Charlottesville?
2. If we wanted to close at the end of May, when should we put the property on the market?
3. If we wanted to close at the end of July, when should we put the property on the market?
4. What is more likely to bring the best return?
5. Do you recommend a 90-day listing or shorter term?
Our Particular Home
1. What are your suggestions to improve the saleability of the property?
2. If you had $2,000 to spend, what would be the most pressing need?
3. Do you have a specific marketing plan (and/or Comparative Marketing Analysis) to show me?
4. How often will you hold open houses? Will they be public or by appointment only?
5. What listing price do you recommend and what is that price based on?
6. What does the listing agreement entail, what are the beginning and expiration dates, and what are the fee amounts I will be paying?
1. Can you provide references for the last 3 properties that you represented the seller?
2. Is there anything else we should know?
3. Why should I list my home with you? — Why should I use you to help me find a home?