Specific criteria used in making up the list of best places follow:
* Population growth: We wanted positive growth since 1990.
* Near major metropolitan area: within 100 miles.
* Housing cost: below $350,000, with a few exceptions. We’re showing current median housing prices (asking prices) for single-family houses.
* Cost of living: No more than 20 percent above the national average.
* Economic health: current unemployment rate below 4 percent and job growth greater than 10 percent for the past five years.
* College presence: one or more major and/or highly competitive college in the vicinity.
* Recreation and arts and culture score in the top third for nearby major metropolitan areas.
This is a good place to start if you are looking for homes in the Charlottesville area.
(Take that, Jeremy! 🙂 )